Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bonne année et bonne santé!

Happy New Year everyone!
Not many things have happened since I last updated, which is good because I have to go to sleep really soon.

Mary Kate, an American who was hosted by my family in 1999-2000 came over to visit for a day with her husband. It was great! She brought over dishtowels with the days of the week on them. It's kind of a running joke to bring up the dishes because there's no dishwasher in the house, and the days of the week are in English to help my host mom improve her English (another joke, my host mom swears she's terrible with languages)! They were very nice and it was great to see that she could still speak French very well after so many years.

For New Year's Eve, I went to Brussels with Julia from Australia and Caleb, who lives in Brussels with his host family. We first went shopping (SUCH a disaster, all the stores closed super early and I couldn't find any shoes. I had snow boots with me.... finally we found a store that agreed to stay open for five minutes so I could buy flats) and then back to Caleb's for dinner. Then we got ready and went out. Almost EVERY bar was carding that night, and while that isn't a problem for me because I'm 18 now, it was a problem for my friends because they aren't. I wasn't just going to leave my friends so we searched and finally found some places that weren't carding. For the countdown to midnight, we were in a pretty nice bar drinking my favorite beer, I can't complain about that! It rained all day and night, but the next morning, it was beautiful and sunny, a great way to start the year.


(This isn't my favorite, my favorite is Lindemans Framboise, but close enough!) 

Tonight I went to visit another AFS host family, because they also had one of their students come back to visit, and she's from Boston. We had Chinese food for dinner (first time having it in four months..... let's just say it did not satisfy my craving, I miss my mom's cooking!) and stayed until 11 talking about Belgium vs the US, other exchange students, and more. I'm going to Bruges tomorrow with her and Skyler, so that should be fun! I'll end this now because I have to wake up early, but I'll tell you about Bruges later! It's my favorite city in Belgium so far.


À tantôt

No comments:

Post a Comment