Friday, September 21, 2012

ONE MONTH

I wanted to talk about this, even though there are no pictures, no crazy/embarrassing stories, or really anything very exciting. It has now been one month since I've left home and also four weeks since I started living in this country. Somehow, that number doesn't seem right. It seems like I left just two weeks ago, because I still remember that day very clearly. And yet, the orientations, the first few days, even my first day of school seem like they happened months ago. I've learned so much already, but I also still feel like I haven't learned much at all. I have definitely matured quite a bit, but I still feel like a little kid because of how much I don't know. I've already established a routine, and that feels wonderful, but I make mistakes all the time. I learn something new every day, whether I like it or not. I see all of my friends packing away for college, getting ready for the last day with their families, and I'm a little envious. Not because they're going to college, because I'll get their eventually, but because if they ever have a bad class or get locked out or just want to talk to their parents, they're always just a call away... Then I realize that I'm in the heart of Europe and have done more and seen more beautiful things in one month (or just the route to and from school or Namur) than I have in my entire life and I stop being jealous and I start getting excited for everything to come. As difficult as this experience has been, it's been the most rewarding and most exciting, and I can never stay sad because I'm in BELGIUM, where I've wanted to be for three years, and sometimes I'll be floored by how lucky I am and that this is actually happening. It's hard for me to believe that I've been here for a month, but even harder to believe that it passed by so easily. That I only have 9 more of these left, just like the one that passed, and then I'll be on my way home. Wish me luck!!!


 


 My view on the way to school. This is what I mean by being astounded (literally every day) that I'm actually here and living in Belgium. It's unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment