Monday, June 4, 2012

PDO

I had my Pre-Departure Orientation just yesterday. It was an all day event, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't learn anything particularly new because (being the freak that I am) I had already read information from the internet and the AFS Wiki because I am just too impatient for my own good I guess! Plus, I've been a member on Cultures Shocked for almost a year. Actually, I just checked my profile page and it'll be a year tomorrow, time flies! But I was reading info from the forum long before I became a member. There are some things I knew that others didn't, even some of the volunteers and returnees were asked questions that they hadn't been asked before, but since Cultures Shocked is such a huge community of exchangers, I had access to so much information.

It seems most people in my female dominated PDO are going to Turkey or are doing summer programs. I was the only Belgian bound, which didn't surprise me, but I was able to talk to a returnee from The Netherlands, which is close enough to Belgium.

I'm still anxiously awaiting news of my placement and host family but I had a lot of fun at the Pre-Departure Orientation, and loved being able to help out others. I can definitely see myself being a volunteer with AFS in the future.

In other news, I got my travel itinerary and am now looking for domestic flights to JFK.... how weird! I've been waiting so long and now it's all finally happening - and fast!

79 DAYS LEFT!

No comments:

Post a Comment